Monday, August 13, 2007

The Complexity of the Human Brain

Catching up on the reading which I had already fallen behind on I thoroughly enjoyed chapter five in our text book. I found the section on heuristics particually fascinating. While I had heard of the concept of heuristics I was in awe of the complexity of the brain. It is almost comparable to a computer - though a computer is not adaptable. The ability of our brains to fix incomplete information (or at least to make it understandable) is amazing. Researchers at Cambridge University have found that as long as the first and last letter of the word are in the right place it doesn't matter the order of the other letters the word. This is because or brain does not read each individual letter of the word but the word as a whole. If you would like to try this out for yourself, I have posted the jumbled sentences onto the bottom of my blog page.

No comments: