Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Family Systems Theory - An Overview

Hi All, As I am nearing the completion of my second blog I thought I would post a brief overview of what is contained and furthered within it. There other aspects that will be covered though I am yet to complete them. Stay tuned for more on Family systems theory. - Family systems theory is a theory of human behaviour that views the family as an emotional unit and uses systems thinking to describe the complex interactions within this unit. - Founding theorists Murray Bowen (and later Michael Kerr) suggested the connectedness and reactivity found among family members makes the functioning of family members interdependent and founded the theory upon these principles. - Family Systems Theory believes that individuals who do not examine and rectify patterns of negative behaviour passed down from previous generations are likely to repeat these behaviours in their own families. - Family systems theory is rapidly becoming one of the most popular and effective methods of problem solving. Unlike conventional psychological theory which focuses on the individual, Family systems theory encourages people to think of issues in terms of a multigenerational family or system. Essentially this approach encourages people to move away from blaming others and towards individual responsibility. - Family systems theory is still found in practices today. It is commonly found in a number of areas of psychotherapy including eating disorders, suicide and depression. (References list available in Blog 2) (sorry about the spacing, but this thing has a mind of it own!!)

7 comments:

James Neill said...

FYI I've posted some links which may be useful: Family Systems

Yasuko said...

Hi Carla

I wonder what kind of the family Bowen bases his theory on? The forms of family are so diverse in different cultures, societies, and history; and the meaning of the family also might be different to different individuals. Are the theory and the family system therapy based on the theory adaptable to all cultures and societies? (If my comment is irrelevant to your point, please ignore it.)

Cheers,

Yasuko

Carla said...

Hi Yasuko,

That is a good point and i'm not 100% sure to be honest. Though from what I have found, I think that it doesn't matter what culture or background the individual is from becuause the idea is to determine the maladaptive behaviour / cognition, determine where this is coming from (within the family), and to correct this.

Based on this I think that the theory would be able to be generalised to other cultures and societies, though I would not like to say 'all societies' because I think there is a danger in that. Generally speaking though I think yes, it would be able to be applied to people from differend cultural backgrounds and societies.

I hope this answers your question. Thanks for asking!
Carla

Yasuko said...

Hi Carla

Thanks for your answer. I am looking forward to reading your essay (actually I've found your essay on your blog already. I haven't finished my essay.....)

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Each and person has a family. If we include Family system theory in our life. It is easy to leave on earth. Because we are all brotherhood. This is my opinion.
============================
rose786
Drug Alcohol Rehab

Drug Alcohol Rehab

Linda Suriyakham said...

Family systems are incredibly relevant to the maintenance of psychological disorders. I believe that sustainable change is very difficult when the family system is unaffected by clinical intervention.

Check out my blog
http://lindasuriyakham@blogspot.com

Linda Suriyakham, PhD

Unknown said...

Hi,

My name is Heather Jones and I am the assistant editor of Epsychologist.org. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Epsychologist.org offer a free informational resource to both the general and professional public on several issues.

I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at heather.epsycholosgist.org@gmail.com.